Wolfhound Phantoms guarding Dutch air space
From 1954 till 1994 a single squadron of the United States Air Forces in Europe was stationed in The Netherlands. The unit was based at Soesterberg Air Base and its home was called Camp New Amsterdam, after the 17th-century Dutch colonial settlement at Manhattan Island, that we now know under the name New York.
In WWII the unit was stationed in the Dutch West Indies. Its tasks were intercepting unidentified aircaft and anti-submarine patrols. The role of finding and destroying German submarine groups, so called Wolf-packs, let to their Wolfhouds insignia. In the Netherlands the role of the 32nd TFS was also that of interception. From 1969 untill 1978 the unit operated the famous F-4 Phantom II. Two F-4E’s were kept on a 24 hours readiness, to scramble into the air within 5 minutes after the alarm went off, to intercept possible intruders. For this role the F-4E was equipped with 4 AIM-9 Sidewinder and 4 AIM-7 Sparrow missiles and the General Dynamics (General Electric) M61 Vulcan gun.
In 1976 the squadron received 23 brand new improved E-models with the Target Identification System Electro Optical (TISEO). This system with a tv camera and long lens enabled the weapons system officer to identify aircraft from a greater distance. In 1978 the Phantoms were replaced by the F-15 Eagle.